THE GLOWING GINGER: DIY HOUSEHOLD CLEANING SPRAY [WITH UPDATE]
I would not describe myself as a "granola mom" by any stretch. My toddler loves his goldfish crackers and I need my caramel coffee creamer! I buy a mix of organic and regular produce. I workout 4-5 times a week, but can't seem it hit that magic number "6" workouts per week. I strive to be healthy, but will treat myself too!
Since launching THE GLOWING GINGER series, I have taken a closer look at my habits to discover if there are ways I can improve my health and wellbeing. One painless change has been swapping out synthetic cleaners for natural ones. I've noticed three positive things as a result of making the switch:
- The health benefits of removing synthetic toxins from my home
- The financial benefits [who doesn't love saving $$$?]
- The fact that my toddler can now safely participate
A game changer for me has been the discovery of essential oils. Now I will preface this and say I am cautious by nature. Before dabbling in essential oils, I first discussed it with my doctor and got the go-ahead as I will not use them for medicinal, inhaling or topical purposes. The only use I am personally comfortable with is for cleaning purposes. In particular, I love using lemon essential oil in a DIY cleaning spray [mixed with water and white vinegar]. The lemon essential oil is anti-fungal and leaves a subtle lemony fresh scent behind masking the vinegar smell.
DIY CLEANING SPRAY RECIPE
YOU WILL NEED:
- Spray bottle (preferably a good quality one as essential oils can break down cheaper plastics)
- 2 TBSP white vinegar
- 5-10 drops lemon essential oil
- Water to fill spray bottle
- Mix ingredients together
- Shake well before use [as lemon essential oil and water will naturally separate]
* As stated in previous posts, I am not sponsored by any of the companies mentioned above. I would recommend doing your research before purchasing essential oils as not all are created equal.
Full disclosure. I have not followed through with getting proper sleep as I should. I find with two little kids that my productivity can be screeched to a halt which frazzles this Type A girl to no end. After they go to bed, I try to squeeze in as much time as I can with my husband, on personal endeavours and odd jobs around the house. However; my health needs to trump the to-do list so I need to do better.
Accountability is a fantastic motivator! Since posting this, I've had two weeks with 4 workouts each in addition to long family walks. I'm looking forward to another active week ahead. Here's to health and happiness!